|How It Works |
|Fill out the easy-to-use quote form located at the top of the page with the necessary information and submit it to receive your free moving quotes.|
|You'll be instantly connected with a list of licensed and insured professional moving companies that can service your move to or from Illinois.|
|Compare the multiple free moving estimates you receive to find the best rate and the best fit for you.|
|Learn helpful tips and tricks to prepare for your move by reading our extensive collection of moving guides and watching our educational moving videos.|
||Moving Tips & Guides|
Make sure you are hiring a moving ... |
Many moving scams start as brokers pretending to be moving companies. Some legitimate moving companies will even sell you off to another company. This should be avoided since you can’t screen that second company and their services are usually questionable at best.
Help Your Movers on Moving Day |
While aiding them with carrying and loading is not necessary (that’s what you are paying them for), providing drinks, snacks or lunch, a tip for good service, and a safe working environment is important.
How to Get Boxes for Your Move |
Often the most difficult and tiresome part of the moving process, packing can take up a lot of your time and resources. If you choose to do the whole packing job by yourself rather than hire a moving company to do it for you, you're going to need boxes -- and a lot of them. This guide will give you some helpful tips and advice on how you can get your hands on boxes for your move.
Packing Services |
One of the most frustrating parts of moving is likely to be the chore of packing everything up before your move. Of course, you then have to go through the trouble of unpacking everything once you get settled in your new home. Packing and unpacking are very time-consuming and labor-intensive processes. With everything else you have to worry about as you get ready for the move, packing is just another headache. However, you may decide to make things easier on yourself by taking advantage of a pro
Create a Moving Inventory |
Whether you plan on moving your stuff yourself, or hiring a service, making an inventory of your belongings will be helpful not only to keep track of your stuff, but in the event that anything gets damaged or stolen, you may need to submit an inventory to your homeowner’s insurance company. Make a list with a description, what room it came from, the value and any serial numbers attached to an item in a spreadsheet. Take photos of your important items and keep them with the list and make sure to
|Recent Moving Reviews|
|Wow Just wow|
Smooth Relocation Vanlines
|Oh boy, we were in a bind and needed to move fast. We had already set up a moving date with another company, but things fell through. We called Smooth Relocation and they were available and put together a crew immediately. I mean IMMEDIATELY! We called at 3:00 pm and the next morning at 8:30 am the crew was there at our doorstep, ready to move us. They didn't try to overcharge us due to the short notice and they were professional from the very first phone call. Their service was great and they were really thorough. They made sure we were comfortable with everything and that they would arrive when scheduled. They were really great to work with. We couldn't be more pleased with the overall service. On time, professional, and really nice guys. What really impressed us the most was a glass shelf in my china cabinet got broken and they actually took it with them and bought back a new glass shelf a few days later. Customer service is A+, We definitely would recommend this company to anyone!|
|Review by : Jen
Posted on : 1/20/2017
Smooth Relocation Vanlines
|I had to use Smooth Relocation Vanlines for my move last week to Florida. From the minute we began working with Smooth Relocation, they were professional, courteous, adaptable and easy to deal with. We were pleased with their quote, it was quite reasonable. The actual moving process was amazingly fast and smooth. The crews were quicker than we thought, as timely as they promised, friendlier than some of our friends, and more diligent than any moving crew I've observed. As a result we have experienced a completely stress-free move and received all my stuffs intact! I would definitely recommend them without any hesitation to anybody I know. Great job well done guys|
|Review by : Keann
Posted on : 1/18/2017
|Do yourself a favor and stay away|
Smooth Relocation Vanlines
|Service provided was inaccurate and misleading from the beginning. When booking the service my first question was whether the move was brokered out. I was promised that Smooth Relocation Vanlines had their own equipment and would be handling directly. The day before the move we were contacted by a different company, Northstar Moving Transportation, who told us that they would be picking up in the next two hours. This caused a lot of trouble as we had to drop what we were doing and rush to prepare ourselves for the move. And at the time of pick up we had much difficulty and additional stress because this moving company advised us our pricing would be completely based upon a different scale (boxes vs size) then we were advised by Smooth Relocation Vanlines. Only after multiple calls to Smooth Relocation Van lines, I was able speak with the owner of the company, Sam who promised me that this would be resolved and told that they would be handling all the communications and I would receive a call from him in two days regarding the delivery schedule. As expected, I didn’t get any call from their office and when I called to see where my stuff was after 3 days it had gotten picked up from my house in Illinois, they said it was still in their IL warehouse (not in route to Delaware as it should have been). I asked when the truck was leaving and they "HAD NO IDEA" because they use other company’s trucks and "didn't know when the next truck would arrive". When our things finally arrive at our new house, everything seemed fine. A couple weeks later, while unpacking, we discover that several antiques had been broken during transit and also several boxes had never made it here. I contacted the company and was told that because they didn't pack the boxes and there was no physical damage to the boxes on the outside, it was not their responsibility--regardless of the hundreds of dollars we had to pay them for "insurance.” I would not recommend this company to anyone unless you enjoy being taken advantage of. I should've listened to all of the negative reviews I read online before hiring them. These people are unprofessional and untrustworthy. What they are good at, is making money off you. They are PROFESSIONAL CON ARTISTS.|
|Review by : Lance
Posted on : 1/17/2017
Illinois Moving Companies and IL Relocation Services
If you're looking for a Illinois Moving Company that can provide you with the best moving rates for your Local Move or Long Distance Move, then there is no better place to come than Movers.com! Here you'll find an extensive and constantly growing collection of licensed, insured IL Professional movers that are fully equipped to handle your next move with care, whether you're moving to Illinois or from IL.
At Movers.com, we're aware that finding affordable and reliable Illinois residential movers can be a difficult process and put added stress on your relocation. So we make things easier for you by providing you with some of the best full service movers Illinois has to offer.
Long Distance Moves bring with them a list of challenges that can be stressful for just about anyone, but finding a long distance moving company doesn't have to be one of those challenges. Movers.com takes pride in finding the best affordable Illinois long distance movers and it can be one of the easiest parts of the relocation. Whether it's interstate movers or IL out of state movers you're looking for, or whether you want IL full service moving companies, packing services, or simply furniture movers, you can find whatever you're looking for right here among our directory of Illinois movers.
You'll be sure to find all that and more, as well as an extensive database of IL moving reviews, long distance movers, and local movers of Illinois at your disposal.
Find Moving Companies from Top cities in Illinois, IL
Arlington Heights, IL
Country Club Hills, IL
Crystal Lake, IL
Elk Grove Village
Elmwood Park, IL
Forest Park, IL
Highland Park, IL
Hyde Park, IL
Jefferson Park, IL
Lincoln Park, IL
Melrose Park, IL
Oak Forest, IL
Oak Park, IL
Park Ridge, IL
Prospect Heights, IL
Rock Island, IL
Round Lake, IL
South Chicago Heights
St Charles, IL
Villa Park, IL
Find Other Moving Services near Illinois
Moving to Illinois?
Illinois, located almost smack dab in the heart of America, has long been thought of as the perfect example of American life. From its all-American feel to its Midwestern appeal, Illinois has been the home to three U.S. presidents and is currently the fifth most populated state in the U.S.
With a major metropolitan area in Chicago and its prime location on Lake Michigan, Chicago has been one of the key U.S. trade cities since its inception in 1818 and is often referred to as the “Second City” with New York being the first. But in addition to Chicago, Illinois is home to small towns and suburbs alike that are simultaneously both culturally diverse and rich in Americana.
If you’re moving to Illinois, there are a lot of things you’re going to need to know. Luckily, you’ve come to the right place.
Things to Know When Moving to Illinois
- Illinois has a climate that varies substantially, depending on your location in the state. Because the northern portion of the state (near Wisconsin) and the southern portion (near Kentucky and Missouri) are separated by over 400 miles, the climate tends to shift. Also, the location of Illinois in the central part of the country tends to see many differentiating weather patterns and colliding fronts that create many thunderstorms and tornadoes. Winters in Illinois tend to be cold, ranging from around 27 to 41 degrees in December and January. However, summers tend to be hot and humid and temperatures can often reach into the low-to-mid-90s. In Chicago, the wind coming off of Lake Michigan often swirls to create blinding snowstorms in the winter and extremely low wind chills.
- Registering your Car: Upon your arrival in Illinois after moving to the state permanently, you have a total of 30 days to update your registration and have your vehicle registered in the state before you may be required to pay a penalty. (Helpful Link: Illinois DMV)
- Obtaining an Illinois Driver’s License: An Illinois Driver’s License can be obtained at any Illinois DMV location. The state requires new Illinois residents to update their license from their previous state to an Illinois driver’s license within 90 days of moving. If you fail to update your driver’s license within this 90-day window, you may have to pay a fine. Also, there is a $10 fee to update your driver’s license.
- Real Estate: The average listing price for homes in Illinois is $274,360, while the median sales price is just over $230,000. The Illinois Association of Realtors is the official real estate resource for the state of Illinois and their member page can be found here: (http://www.illinoisrealtor.org/local)
- Moving and Storage: If you are looking for a moving company or storage facility to help you with anything, you should check to make sure the company is registered with the United States Department of Transportation or with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
- The Illinois state educational system is governed by the P-20 Council, composed of government official, business executives, university administrators and community leaders. The public school system in Illinois is typically composed of three different tiers in the primary education level. These tiers, the elementary school tier, middle school or junior high tier and the high school tier, are each composed of schools belonging to individual districts and separated often by township, county or region. When it comes to secondary education on the collegiate level, there are also 11 “National Universities” located within the state, as well as over 20 other fully accredited four-year universities and colleges. Some of the more notable and prestigious collegiate institutions in Illinois include the University of Chicago, Northwestern University, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, the Illinois Institute of Technology and Loyola University Chicago. (Helpful Link: Illinois Schools)
As of 2011, Illinois was ranked 39th out of 50 states in violent crime, with a total of less than 40 violent crimes for every 100,000 people in the state.
Economy of Illinois
The state of Illinois has thrived for many years as one of the major industrial centers of America and the state’s economy when it comes to industry is based largely on manufacturing. A large majority of the manufacturing that takes place in Illinois is chemical manufacturing, which accounts for $18.3 billion of the state’s manufacturing revenue. Food manufacturing, machinery manufacturing, transportation equipment and computer and electronic products also make up a substantial portion of the Illinois industrial economy.
As of early 2012, the state of Illinois had an unemployment rate of 9.1 percent. In the state of Illinois, the civilian labor force is comprised of over 6.5 million citizens, 5.9 million of which are currently gainfully employed and a little less than 600,000 who are unemployed. (Helpful Link: Illinois Department of Labor
The median household income in the state of Illinois is $46,590, while the average per capita income for the state is $23,104.
Important Locations in Illinois
- State Capital: Springfield
- Largest Cities:
- Major landmarks and attractions: Wrigley Field, Chicago; Millennium Park, Chicago; Buckingham Fountain, Chicago; Soldier Field, Chicago; Navy Pier, Chicago; Lincoln Home National Historic Site, Springfield (Helpful Link: Top Tourist Attractions in Illinois)
- National Parks:
- Lincoln Home National Historic Site
- State park System: Illinois has close to 100 different state parks separated into five regions throughout the state. The vast diversity of landscapes that can be found throughout the state of Illinois, thanks to its proximity to the Great Lakes and the Mississippi River, provides many opportunities to appreciate the natural wonders of Illinois by hiking, fishing, biking and hunting. (Helpful Link: Illinois Department of Natural Resources)
- Major Airports:
- Chicago O’Hare International Airport
- Chicago Midway International Airport
- Gary-Chicago International Airport
- Moline-Quad City International Airport
- Springfield Capital Airport