|How It Works |
|Fill out the easy-to-use quote form located at the top of the page with the necessary information and submit it to receive your free moving quotes.|
|You'll be instantly connected with a list of licensed and insured professional moving companies that can service your move to or from South Dakota.|
|Compare the multiple free moving estimates you receive to find the best rate and the best fit for you.|
|Learn helpful tips and tricks to prepare for your move by reading our extensive collection of moving guides and watching our educational moving videos.|
||Moving Tips & Guides|
Ask About Extra Costs |
Don’t be afraid to ask the moving company questions about extra fees that may come up. If you haven’t used adequate materials in packing your belongings, you can be charged for packing supplies. There may be extra fees for moving from a big city. They may charge you extra for any number of reasons, so it’s important to make sure that you have an idea of everything that they want to charge you either up front or just make sure that you’re clear on why they’re charging you extra.
Moving Frauds and Scams |
Scams unfortunately exist in all facets of business and it’s important to know how to avoid them. Moving frauds and scams are especially common these days, and they are an unfortunate evil that comes with trusting your belongings to dishonest movers, so familiarize yourself with the warning signs so you can avoid disaster and prevent yourself from falling victim to one of these prevalent moving scams.
Specialty movers are required to ... |
A typical moving company may not be able to handle moving some items on their own. Either you or the moving company will need to hire specialty movers in order to move large, complex, or fragile items. Either way, you will end up paying for it. These items could include pianos, pets, art, and pool tables.
Miami Moving Guides and Tips |
The sunshine state is a culturally diverse melting pot and people from all over flock to the sunny, sandy beaches of Miami for a relaxing, laid-back lifestyle that can't be found anywhere else. Prepare yourself for your move to Miami with the helpful tips and advice in this guide, so that you can be ready for anything that comes your way and so that you'll know exactly what to expect when you arrive in your new home in Miami.
Types of Moving Estimates |
A moving estimate is one of the first things you will receive from a prospective moving company and one of the first steps in the moving process. There are several different kinds of moving estimates that you may encounter during your search for a moving company, so it’s important that you become acquainted with their differences, and which one is best for you.
|Recent Moving Reviews||
South Dakota Moving Companies and SD Relocation Services
If you're looking for a South Dakota Moving Company that can provide you with the best moving rates for your Local Move or Long Distance Move, then there is no better place to come than Movers.com! Here you'll find an extensive and constantly growing collection of licensed, insured SD Professional movers that are fully equipped to handle your next move with care, whether you're moving to South Dakota or from SD.
At Movers.com, we're aware that finding affordable and reliable South Dakota residential movers can be a difficult process and put added stress on your relocation. So we make things easier for you by providing you with some of the best full service movers South Dakota has to offer.
Long Distance Moves bring with them a list of challenges that can be stressful for just about anyone, but finding a long distance moving company doesn't have to be one of those challenges. Movers.com takes pride in finding the best affordable South Dakota long distance movers and it can be one of the easiest parts of the relocation. Whether it's interstate movers or SD out of state movers you're looking for, or whether you want SD full service moving companies, packing services, or simply furniture movers, you can find whatever you're looking for right here among our directory of South Dakota movers.
You'll be sure to find all that and more, as well as an extensive database of SD moving reviews, long distance movers, and local movers of South Dakota at your disposal.
Find Moving Companies from Top cities in South Dakota, SD
Box Elder, SD
Hot Springs, SD
North Sioux City
|Rapid City, SD|
Silver City, SD
Find Other Moving Services near South Dakota
Moving to South Dakota?
South Dakota is a picturesque Midwestern state whose scenic beauty and highly varied topography has enthralled one and all. The mountain sculpture by Gutzon Borghum has earned it the nickname, Mount Rushmore State. It is also known by other nicknames such as the Sunshine State, the Coyote State, the Artesian State, and the Blizzard State.
The culture of South Dakota is cosmopolitan, reflecting American Indian, Western, and European influences. A slew of cultural events celebrate the state's diverse ethnic heritage: Czech Days in Tabor; St. Patrick's Day; Days of '76 in Deadwood; and Cinco de Mayo in Sioux Falls.
The state is also the setting for Laura Ingalls Wilder novels such as By the Shores of Silver Lake, Little House on the Prairie,
and The Long Winter
. Many notable artists like Harvey Dunn and Oscar Howe belong to the state. Oscar Howe was one of the few Native American painters whose works are more abstract-oriented.
If you’re moving to South Dakota, there are a lot of things you’re going to need to know. Luckily, you’ve come to the right place.
Things to Know When Moving to South Dakota
South Dakota Climate
- South Dakota features a Cold dry winters and hot semi-humid summers comprise the continental climate that is prevalent in the state. During the summer, for certain periods, South Dakota experiences severe hot dry spells. Other climatological aberrations like thunderstorms, hail, blizzards, and ice storms also occur. The eastern part of the state lies in Tornado Alley and nearly 30 tornadoes strike the region every year. South Dakota is divided into eastern and western parts by the Missouri River. The eastern part consists of low hills, lakes formed from glaciers, and fertile farm lands. The western part consists of canyons, the Great Plains, and the Black Hills. The Black Hills are mountain ranges in the southwestern part of the state that rise from 2,000 to 4,000 feet and are sources of rich mineral wealth. (Helpful Link: South Dakota Weather)
- Registering your Car: You have 90 days to title and register your car after you have established residency in the state of South Dakota. You have to submit the required paperwork such as an application for a motor vehicle title and registration, a power of attorney, bill of sale, and insurance papers, along with the required fees, to the County Treasurer's office. (Helpful Link: South Dakota DMV)
- Obtaining an South Dakota Driver’s License: You have 90 days to apply for a license after establishing residency in the state. You can exchange a valid out-of-state license for a South Dakota driver's license but you have to take the vision test. If your out-of-state license is expired then you are required to take the knowledge and road tests as well.
- Real Estate: The average listing price for homes in South Dakota is $224,300, while the median sales price is just over $101,700. The South Dakota Association of Realtors is the official real estate resource for the state of South Dakota.
- Moving and Storage: If you are looking for a moving company or storage facility to help you with anything, you should check to make sure the company is registered with the United States Department of Transportation or with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. (Helpful Link: South Dakota State Moving Resource Page)
- South Dakota has 703 public schools, which is the highest number of schools per capita in the nation. The functioning of various public schools is handled by the South Dakota Board of Education. South Dakota has adapted a Common Core State Standards Initiative which is about a shared set of educational standards in English, language arts, and mathematics for grades K-12. The South Dakota Board of Regents controls and manages six public universities, the South Dakota School for Blind and Visually Impaired, and the South Dakota School for the Deaf. Notable among the higher institutions are the University of South Dakota, Black Hills State University, and Dakota State University. (Helpful Link: South Dakota Schools)
As of 2011, South Dakota was ranked 4th out of 50 states in violent crime, with a total of less than 10 violent crimes for every 100,000 people in the state.
Economy of South Dakota
The economy of South Dakota is driven by the service sector, agriculture and related industries, and tourism. The service sector is comprised of the retail, finance, and healthcare industries and is the biggest contributor to South Dakota's economy. The state produces a variety of agricultural products: beef cattle, sheep, hogs, chicken, turkey, geese, corn, soybean, wheat, and flax seeds. Industries such as meat packing and ethanol production also contribute significantly to the economy -- South Dakota ranks sixth in ethanol production. Tourism brings in millions of dollars with the state's major tourist attractions and the annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.
- As of early 2012, the state of South Dakota had an unemployment rate of 4.3 percent, which is substantially lower than the national average of 8.2 percent. (Helpful Link: South Dakota Department of Labor)
The median household income in the state of South Dakota is $46,369, while the average per capita income for the state is $24,110.
Important Locations in South Dakota
- State Capital: Pierre
- Largest Cities:
- Sioux Falls
- Rapid City
- Major landmarks and attractions: Mount Rushmore National Memorial; Laura Ingalls Wilder, De Smet; Crazy Horse Memorial; Falls Park; World's only Corn Palace; Fort Sisseton Historic State Park; Jewel Cave National Monument and Wind Cave National Park; Black Hills National Forest. (Helpful Link: Top Tourist Attractions in South Dakota )
- National Parks:
- Badlands National Park
- Jewel Cave National Monument
- Mount Rushmore National Memorial
- Wind Cave National Park
- State park System: The 54 state parks and recreation areas in South Dakota are managed by the Department of Game, Fish, and Parks. The state's parks, with its sprawling prairies, back-country mountains, pristine lakes, and lush green woods, offer a range of outdoor activities for one and all. You can indulge in hiking, biking, riding, fishing, sailing, swimming, kayaking, canoeing, and exploration of frontier forts. (Helpful Link: South Dakota Department of Conservation and Natural Resources)
- Major Airports:
- Sioux Falls Regional Airport
- Rapid City Regional Airport
- Pierre Regional Airport
- Aberdeen Regional Airport