Moving can be complicated
sometimes. It can be hard to keep track of everything that's going on: what's
going where, when it's going, how it's going. If you plan on shipping some
things as part of your move, it is important that you address everything
properly. Save yourself a headache by following these guidelines:
- If you are going to handwrite the addresses, make sure you write legibly
and in print.
- Write a return address in the top left corner of the package. You are
relocating, so you might not have a reliable address for yourself yet; choose
someone you trust.
- The delivery address should be parallel to the longest side of the
- Try to include the full ZIP code + 4. If you aren't sure what it is,
use this link.
- Packages with postage stamps must weigh 13 ounces or less.
- If you want to calculate your postage ahead of time, or even pay it
online, go here.
TIP: In some cases, you will receive a discount
if you handle your postage online. Check it out before you drive to the post
office.If you are shipping internationally, consider the following:
Just make sure all the information you have is accurate
before you send it off!
- The address should be written in English or, if it is written in another
language, at least the city, province, and country should be indicated in
- Print the address in all capital letters to make it more legible. The United
States Postal Service suggests the following format:
- NAME OF ADDRESSEE
- STREET ADDRESS OR POST OFFICE BOX NUMBER
- CITY OR TOWN NAME, OTHER PRINCIPAL SUBDIVISION (such as PROVINCE,
STATE, or COUNTY) AND POSTAL CODE (IF KNOWN) (Note: in some countries,
the postal code may precede the city or town name)
- COUNTRY NAME (UPPERCASE LETTERS IN ENGLISH)
- The return address should include a full name (no initials, if possible) and
the country of origin.
- Shipping to Canada should follow this format:
- MS HELEN SAUNDERS
- 1010 CLEAR STREET
- OTTAWA ON K1A 0B1
- It's a good idea to include a card inside the parcel that details the names
and addresses of yourself (or the return address you are using) and the