Answered by Nicole La CapriaApril 19, 2013
Thank you for visiting Movers.com!
The method you use to ship your car overseas from Finland to the USA will depend on the type of vehicle you have and your budget. There are two ways to ship a car overseas: Roll on/Roll off Service and Container Service.
- Roll-on and Roll-off Service: With this method, your vehicle is simply driven or rolled onto the ship, where it is protected by the deck. This is the most cost-effective way to ship your vehicle.
- Container Service: If you have a luxury or collectible car, you will probably opt for this method. Your vehicle will be placed in an individual container and then rolled onto the ship. While this is considerably more costly, it is the safest way to ship your car overseas.
Finding an Auto Mover
To find a reputable international auto shipper, start researching and comparing quotes from several companies a few months in advance. This will give you adequate time to choose the best shipper for the job. Make sure you know what important questions to ask your auto mover, including:
- Are you registered and licensed?
- What kind of insurance do you offer?
- How will you transport my vehicle?
- When will my car arrive?
- How do you determine your rates?
What Else To Consider?
Before surrending your vehicle to the auto shippers, make sure you have properly prepared your car for transport by checking for leaking fluids, leaving no more than a 1/4 tank of gas inside the vehicle, disabling alarms , removing all personal belongings from the interior, and checking that you have an adequate battery charge. It is also important to acquire insurance coverage to protect your vehicle during transit.
Additionally, you should contact the American embassy/consulate for more information on the taxes as well as the regulations for importing your car. Some vehicles may not even be legally permitted to enter the country. Find out what paperwork you will need to transport your vehicle as well.
To start searching for international auto movers to transport your car, fill out our fast and easy quote form at Movers.com. Don't forget to stop back and let us know about your experience by writing a moving review!