End a rental agreement
Home > Ask Moving Expert > Ending Rental Agreements

Ending rental agreements

No Photo

Asked by Marjorie

September 5, 2014 under Others

How to write a letter authorizing them to remove my name on a lease of that apartment since Im moving to another unit but the same place.

Answered by Ana M. Ferrer

September 5, 2014

Good morning and thanks for visiting Movers.com! I'd be glad to help you with your question.

It sounds like you need help with breaking your apartment lease agreement before starting a new lease. Here are some suggestions for terminating rental agreements and giving your landlord notice.

Breaking your lease agreement

The first thing you should do is talk with your landlord about leaving early. Remember to remain calm and friendly when discussing it with your landlord. Your landlord will be the deciding factor in whether or not you can end your lease early.

If you need to leave your lease early assigning your lease could be a viable option for you. You would need to find someone to take over until the lease is up however, the landlord has the final say in who your lease can be assigned to.

Notifying your landlord when moving out

Once you've reached the end of your lease term with your landlord you can move out freely, however you will need to notify your landlord of your intent to vacate the rental property.

Here are some tips for writing a notification letter to your landlord and what points to include:

  • Review your lease and find out the length of notice required. Some tenants are required to give 30, 60 or even 90 days notice when moving out.
  • Date the letter. Make sure the letter is dated clearly so there is no dispute about how many days notice you provided.
  • State the move-out date. Begin by saying you are giving the required amount of notice and the date you intend to be fully vacated and return your keys.
  • Confirm your plans to clean the apartment. Failure to clean your apartment could result in not receiving your security deposit.
  • Include a forwarding address so that any mail can be sent to your new home along with your expectations of your security deposit being refunded and the amount you expect in the time frame.
  • Sign the letter. Forgetting to sign the letter will render it useless.
  • Send the letter by certified mail. Sending by certified mail will ensure that your letter is delivered in an appropriate amount of time, you will receive a delivery confirmation and you can be confident that your landlord received it. Or hand-delivery will also work.

I hope this is helpful in answering your question about writing a letter removing you from a lease. Thanks again for visiting Movers.com.

4.84.8 (8 Ratings)
Views(218) Views

Rate this Question

Similar Questions as Above