Answered by Staff WriterMarch 18, 2022
If your budget doesn't allow you to hire professional movers, without wasting time, you should research the other moving options. You can choose between a moving container and a rental truck. Both a portable storage container and a moving truck will be less expensive than hiring a professional moving company, but other factors need to be considered.
It seems difficult to determine the actual cost, mostly if you are renting a truck or attempting to negotiate a relocation by yourself. However, if you choose to rent a moving container, the process would be simple as you will need to pay the quoted amount itself.
Moving Truck Rental
A rental truck is a standard option for numerous people, allowing them to hire it for one or more days. You need to pick up the truck from the truck rental company, load your belongings and drive them to your new location.
Let’s now check a few benefits and drawbacks of choosing a rental truck for your next move.
- Various size options - A rental truck comes in various sizes that give you the flexibility to choose the size you prefer. U-Haul will give you six different options ranging from a cargo van to a 26' rental truck.
- Keeping track of your belongings - If you rent a moving truck, you will have complete control over your belongings throughout the journey. In case you break or damage an item, you will be responsible for it. But you can always take extra care to protect your items from getting damaged.
- Good availability - The turnover time of a rental truck is quite high as most of them are rented for a local move. So, if you don’t get the truck on a specific day, chances are high that you will get it on the next day.
- Long-distance move - A rental truck is the most affordable option for a long-distance move. This is regardless of whether you are driving the truck by yourself, or you have hired a driver as well.
- Hidden charges - Some truck rental companies are famous for it’s hidden costs, which they frequently charge for fuel surcharges and mileage. These charges aren’t displayed in print, compelling you to pay around a hundred more than the advertised price.
- Return deadlines - You would be pressurized to return the rental truck on the date and time mentioned in your contract. In case you can’t return it on time, you will have to pay a late penalty. This can make your day more stressful, so be careful when you choose this option.
Here we have prepared a list of miscellaneous expenses that you can incur if you are using the truck rental service.
- Auto towing cost
If you are a person who prefers flexibility and convenience, renting a moving container would be a worthwhile option for you. Here are a few things which you need to know about renting a moving container.
- A moving container company will drop the shipping container at your location. You need to pack your items into the container by yourself or hire moving laborers to do it for you.
- Next, the company will pick it up from your location and load it on their flatbed.
- Finally, the moving container will be delivered to your new location.
Here we are going to read about some advantages and disadvantages of renting a moving container, that will help you make the right choice.
- Compact size - Though a wide range of sizes isn’t available in most companies, it looks compact based on its overall size. Also, it will serve the purpose of storage while it’s compact size helps it to fit into the parking space or driveways.
- No time restrictions - Most moving container companies have a flexible timeframe for which you can rent a storage container. Even if you don’t have any storage plans this could be a good deal for you because you can pack, load, and unload your belongings at your convenience.
- Storage option - If you don’t want to unload your belongings immediately, you can use your moving container for storage.
- Easy to load and unload - A portable storage container is placed at the ground level, so you won't face issues loading the heavy couches or even the moving boxes.
- Unsuitable for local moves - Mostly, a moving container company will have their facilities and chain in several cities. But still, it wouldn’t be possible to make a long-distance move by using a portable storage container. It would only be suitable for making a local move, either within the city or the country.
- Container size restriction - Most of the companies will offer you moving containers of limited sizes only and many of them would be even smaller than the cargo space of a big rental truck. So, if you have too many items to move, it would be difficult for you to find a moving container of that size.
- Parking restrictions - Though you can pack and unpack a portable storage container at your convenience, you still might need to seek the street occupancy permit, if you are moving to a large city.
- Lack of control over your belongings - You can’t access your possessions until it reaches your new home.
Though a moving container is easier to use than a rental truck, many people are not willing to pay the additional cost associated with it. So, your final choice will mostly come to cost vs. Convenience. We recommend you weigh the pros and cons of both these options and choose the option which fulfils your needs in the most viable way.