Answered by Nicole La CapriaApril 19, 2013
The cost of shipping your car overseas to Manila, Phillipinnes will depend on a variety of factors. The distance you are shipping it, the shipping method you choose, insurance and several other factors will all affect the final cost.
International Shipping Methods
There are two ways to ship a car overseas: Roll on/Roll off Service and Container Service.
- Roll-on and Roll-off Service: With this method, your vehicle is simply driven or rolled onto the ship, where it is protected by the deck. This is the most cost-effective way to ship your vehicle.
- Container Service: Since you have a luxury car, you will probably opt for this method. Your vehicle will be placed in an individual container and then rolled onto the ship. While this is considerably more costly, it is the safest way to ship your BMW overseas.
Finding an Auto Mover
To find a reputable international auto shipper, start researching and comparing quotes from several companies a few months in advance. This will give you adequate time to choose the best shipper for the job. Make sure you know what important questions to ask your auto mover, including:
- Are you registered and licensed?
- What kind of insurance do you offer?
- How will you transport my vehicle?
- When will my car arrive?
- How do you determine your rates?
Preparing Your Vehicle
There are several steps you should take to prepare your car for shipping:
Check for leaking fluids
Leave no more than a 1/4 tank of gas inside the vehicle
Remove all personal belongings from the interior
Check the battery charge
Remove, protect or adjust any loose parts
Other Things to Consider
- Insurance: It is imperative that you acquire adequate insurance coverage to protect your luxury vehicle during transit. Shipping insurance will cost about 1.5 percent to two percent of your vehicle's value.
- Door-to-Door service: If you are willing to transport your car to the nearest seaport yourself, you can save money. Port-to-port service is cheaper than door-to-door service.
- Duties/import taxes: Customs duties will vary depending on the goods and country. Contact the Philipinne embassy/consulate for more information on the taxes as well as the regulations for importing your car. Some vehicles may not even be legally permitted to enter the country.
- Paperwork fees: The necessary paperwork may include two copies of a notarized title, a Shipper Export Declaration Form, and a Declaration of Dangerous Goods form.
To start searching for international auto movers to transport your BMW, fill out our fast and easy quote form at Movers.com. Don't forget to stop back and let us know about your experience by writing a moving review!