Answered by Nicole La CapriaApril 19, 2013
Thank you for visiting Movers.com!
When you need just a single item moved, it is classified as a small move. Small movers, unlike standard moving companies, usually do not require a minimum weight to handle your shipment. Speciality movers, such as piano movers, will often also move other heavy, cumbersome items like exercise equipment.
Moving the Treadmill Yourself
Rather than opting to hire professionals, you may also consider moving the treadmill yourself. The make and model of your treadmill will determine how easy it is to move. Many treadmills fold for more convenient transport--all you will need is a couple friends, a dolly, and a van or truck to move the piece of equipment. If you are considering this cost-effective method, follow these steps:
- Turn off and unplug your treadmill.
- Refer to your owner's manual for specific instructions--every treadmill is different.
- Fold and lock the walking deck. Lift the deck from the rear and fold it towards the treadmill's console until it locks into place.
- Insert the locking pin or tighten the knob underneath the treadmill if you have one. Different models may lock differently--refer to your manual.
- Carefully tilt the treadmill backwards at a 45-degree angle, having a friend slide the platform of an appliance dolly underneath the end of the treadmill that is lifted off the floor.
- Carefully lower the treadmill onto the dolly.
- Gently tilt the hand truck and treadmill at a 45-degree angle toward you and push it forward at a slow pace. You may want to secure the treadmill to the dolly with bungee cords or straps.
- To move the areadmill down stairs, it is best to go bottom first. Slowly move the dolly downwards one step at a time. Have your helper at the other end of the dolly to help support the weight.
- To load it oto your truck or van, walk the dolly up the truck's ramp if you have one. If not, enlist the aid of several strong friends to hoist it up onto the truck. Remember to bend your knees and to keep your back straight when lifting heavy items to prevent injury.
Since moving a treadmill yourself requires strength and can be dangerous, you may prefer to leave it up to the professionals. To start comparing quotes from available small movers
or speciality movers to transport your treadmill, fill out our fast and easy quote form at Movers.com! Don't forget to stop back and tell us about your experience by writing a moving review