Answered by Nicole La CapriaApril 17, 2013
A small move is anything under 2,000 lb--the weight minimum for most commercial movers to accept a job. Anything less than that will require a company specializing in small moves. If you are moving from an apartment with very little furniture, your move would probably be classified as small. Check out this useful weight calculator tool to determine the estimated weight of your shipment! You can enter your furniture items, the number of boxes of books and other belongings you will be moving.
A long distance move is any move exceeding 100 miles. It is approximately 341 miles from Oakland to Los Angeles, so your move would in fact be considered long distance. Luckily, there are numerous small moving companies that perform long-distance moves. Many also offer full packing services, so you can sit back and plan the other aspects of your relocation while the movers professionally wrap, pack and load the entire contents of your apartment.
A Few Things to Remember About an Apartment Move
- Inform movers that it is an apartment move. Whether you are moving out of or into an apartment, it is a good idea to notify your movers and inquire about any extra fees you may incur for an apartment move. Let them know what floor you are on, and ask about charges for long carries, stair carries and elevator carries.
- Inquire about the service elevator. Many apartments have large service elevators that can be used for moving furniture. However, sometimes several tenants will need the elevator on the same day, especially during movers' busy season of spring/summer. It is advised to call your landlord several weeks in advance to reserve the elevator for moving day.
- Make parking arrangements. Professional movers may add extra charges depending on how far they have to park the truck from the building's entrance. Speak with the landlord to make arrangements for the most convenient place you are permitted to unload the truck, or devise a plan to arrive at the complex early, park your own car strategically in front of the building, and save the spot for the moving truck.
- Clean your old apartment thoroughly. Make sure you clean your apartment by the guidelines illustrated in your leaae to ensure a full refund on your security deposit.
- Be sure to give your landlord adequate notice. Don't forget to notify your landlord that you are vacating the appropriate number of days in advance as instructed in your lease.
Now that you have some information on how to successfully execute your small apartment move to Los Angeles, you can get started comparing free quotes from small movers right here at Movers.com! Don't forget to let us know about your experience by writing a moving review!