Moving a Small Office and Artwork
Home > Ask Moving Expert > Small Office With Artwork

small office with artwork

No Photo

Asked by Admin

March 15, 2013 under Others

Do any of your movers have experience on moving and handling artwork/paintings?

Answered by Nicole La Capria

April 16, 2013

Artwork is delicate, valuable, and requires special care when being handled, packed and transported. Fortunately, many moving companies do have experience handling paintings, sculpture, and other artwork for your move.

How Should Artwork Be Packed and Transported?

In order to ensure that any moving company you are considering for hire is knowledgable about the packing and transport of artwork, you only need to know what questions to ask. Paintings and sculpture often require special packaging, crating, and protective padding. Bubble wrap should never be used directly against paintings because the air bubbles can leave behind impressions on the art. Canvas paintings should be wrapped in acid-free paper before being wrapped with any other packing materials or padding. You may also require a climate-controlled vehicle for if your move is long-distance and you don't want the art exposed to extreme temperatures for long periods of time. Ask any mover you are considering for hire about their experience handling artwork and what their procedures are to ensure that they will properly pack and transport your art.

Specialty Movers 

While many moving companies are trained in the process of handling art, you can also hire specialty movers that concentrate strictly on the business of transporting artwork. It may cost you a little extra for the service, but art movers will be best equipped to handle your artwork for your move. If you have a great deal of especially valuable art, this may be the best option for you. Additionally, if you are solely moving artwork, specialty movers may be the only way to go, as most major moving companies require a minimum of 2,000 lb to handle a move.

Should You Get Insurance?

If your artwork is very valuable, you will want to discuss your insurance options with any moving company you are considering for hire. Regular moving insurance may not adequately cover damage to your art or antiques--you will need to acquire a specific policy to protect yourself from costs incurred from damage to these precious belongings. The company may offer you fine art coverage to purchase directly from them, or you can get it from a third-party carrier. There are several companies that specialize in providing moving insurance for art and antiques.



4.74.7 (15 Ratings)
Views(245) Views

Rate this Question

Similar Questions as Above