Answered by Staff WriterMarch 23, 2022
Are you moving into a new house? Regardless of whether you are moving for the first time or the seventh time, moving into a new house can be stressful. You would be surprised to know the household essentials you may need to buy to make your house a happy place to live. It would be a good idea to first check your already existing possessions and then decide which items you can keep with you and which you might want to donate, sell, or even discard. This might give you a better idea of those essentials which you need to buy to decorate your house.
Here we have a list of household essentials ranging from wall art to batteries and any other things that can eventually make your house a home.
Security Essentials for your new house
Your responsibility doesn't just end with buying a house. You need to make sure that you will live safely inside it. If you are moving into an apartment, it might already have smoke detectors. But if you are moving into an old building, you might want to add one or two smoke detectors for additional coverage. We also recommend you buy a carbon monoxide detector as well as a small fire extinguisher to ensure the safety of your new home and its people.
What essentials may you need for the entrance of your house?
Though you may not use the front door of your house every day once you have settled there, it would still be the first impression any person might have of your house. Also, it would be the entrance of your house only, where its security would start.
Here is a list of a few essentials that you must buy to create a good entrance to your house:
- Security camera
- Welcome mat
- Shoe rack
- Coat rack
- Motion-enabled lights
- The smart doorbell to check who is there at the door without you getting up from your place.
- Smart lock
- A mattress would be the first thing that you might want to buy after signing your apartment contract. Of course, you may not mind sleeping on the floor, but sleeping on it on the first night itself would lead you to wait for a month before you get time to buy the mattress.
- Next, you can purchase those items which might make your bed more comfortable, like pillows, comforters, mattress topper, and sheets. Also, you may not buy a dresser, nightstand as well as a bed complementing each other and your sweet home.
- If possible, you should buy shades or curtains well in advance, otherwise, keep an extra blanket to use as curtains for some time. Perhaps, no one will want to break the privacy of their room on the first day itself.
- Finally, you may need to buy some hangers in advance, because the sooner you unpack your clothing, the faster your apartment will look like a home.
- You can buy coordinating towels and shower curtains so that your bathroom looks great overall.
- Make sure to pack any toiletry items from your first apartment like soap and shampoos. Of course, you would be longing for a hot shower after your stressful move.
- Shower curtain liners, hooks, and toilet paper are a few more things that you might want to buy or just pack from your old apartment's possessions.
Important Items for your Living Room
- To make your living space look beautiful, the first thing would be to choose a seating that would complement your style, for example, a sleeper sofa. You may already have it and just need to bring it from your old apartment safely. Also, you may grab a used sofa from a family member or a friend, if you can't afford to buy it.
- You can even add a coffee table to the shopping list for your new house. This would look great for serving drinks when you are hosting a party for your friends.
- Though a television wouldn't be a necessity for you, it's worth investing in it. If you enjoy watching movies, possibly you can consider buying a projector.
It’s on you to decide whether you want a full kitchen table and chair or just a few stools for you to sit. Apart from this, you may consider purchasing the following for your new house’s kitchen, before you move into it.
You may buy a few paper plates and cups if you would take some time to buy a complete kitchenware set. However, we recommend you purchase the original kitchenware only as this might reduce the carbon footprint.
Other miscellaneous items for your kitchen:
- Water glass
- Trash cans
- Cereal bowl
- Fork, knife, and spoon
- Food container
- Sandwich bag
- Cleaning Supplies
You can use vinegar as a replacement for a surface cleaner. Also, pack sufficient sponges with you because no one would like to use a stinky sponge. Here are a few other cleaning supplies that you might want to add to your shopping list.
- Broom, dustpan, or a vacuum cleaner
- Paper towels
- Toilet scrubber
- Dish wash
- Toilet bowl cleaning solution
- Multi-purpose liquid cleaner
An accident can happen at any time. You should always keep a first-aid kit ready with you, especially when you are moving. For example, you might cut your fingers or get body pain at the end of the moving day.
Here are a few essentials, which you must keep handy with you:
- Antibiotic ointment
- Anti-inflammatory like Advil
Maintenance Items List
- Primary tools like screwdrivers, hammers, wrenches, sandpaper, and nails.
- Light bulbs
- Candles and matchsticks
- Extension cords
- Ceiling fans, humidifiers, and heaters.
- Wi-fi router
- Duct tape
- Ethernet cables
- Surge protectors
Decorative items for your house
You can consider buying the following items to decorate your new apartment and create a homely atmosphere:
- Wall accents
- Wall shelves
- Picture hangers
Now that you know the household essentials you need to buy before you move to a new house, perhaps your stress will be reduced. Just plan everything in advance and make sure to complete buying them or arranging for them before you move. This will help eliminate a chaotic situation and enjoy moving to your new house as much as possible.