Answered by Staff WriterJuly 29, 2021
If you are wondering where to get cheap moving boxes, it is important to know some of the top places where you can buy quality moving boxes at a reasonable price. Here are some best places to get moving boxes.
Top 4 places to buy cheap moving boxes
- Amazon: As it is one of the world's largest online retailers, Amazon sells a wide variety of boxes at cheaper rates. Whether you’re looking for a specific size or specialty box to pack your TV, you’ll likely find a box that fits your needs. Amazon has plenty of options, of course, but it’s also the best place to learn how each box holds up in the real world. You can see the customer reviews, which help you to decide to buy suitable moving boxes.
- Lowe’s: It has great moving box options where you will find specialty boxes for packing up your clothes, electronics, and dishes. You can get the moving boxes online or at your local store. Apart from moving boxes, Lowe’s sells tools and materials for a DIY move.
- Home Depot: It offers many of the same benefits as Lowe’s, including home improvement tools. When you are looking to buy moving boxes, it provides you a visual representation of each box’s dimensions, how many boxes are in stock at your local store, and some guides that cover basic moving and packing tips.
- U-Haul: If you’re planning to rent a truck from U-Haul for your DIY move, you might as well buy your boxes there too! Like the other top moving suppliers, U-Haul has a large variety of moving boxes and kits that you can purchase both online and in-store. In addition to this, U-Haul also sells storage bags and disposable moisture absorbers when you are preparing items for short- or long-term storage.
All these stores have around the same cost for moving boxes, so you'll be getting a great deal regardless of where you go.
Where I can get free moving boxes?
When you’re on a tight budget, there are some places where you can get free cardboard boxes for moving:
- Liquor stores
- Recycling center
- Home supply stores
- Grocery stores
- U-Haul customer support
- Electronic stores
Do moving companies provide moving boxes?
Many full-service moving companies offer moving boxes, packing materials, and other moving supplies like bubble wrap, blankets for furniture, markers, and tape. If you're looking for a safe and easy moving experience, check with your moving company to see if they can sell moving supplies at a cheaper rate.
How to choose the right type of moving boxes?
The best boxes for your needs will depend on the budget and the items you are moving. Here are the most common types of moving boxes you will need for packing.
- Small boxes (12" x 12" x 16”) are great for storing books and heavier items.
- Medium boxes (18” x 18” x 16”) can hold kitchen items, clothes, electronics, and even toys.
- Large Box (18” x 18” x 24”) are great for small rugs, appliances, blankets and bed sets, and clothing.
- Dish-Pack has dividers where you can put your bowls, plates, and other kitchenware in them, so they stay safe and protected.
- Wardrobe Box holds clothing, so your clothes don’t get wrinkled during your move.
- Picture/specialty boxes can protect your mirrors, artwork, and picture frames from getting broken or damaged.
What are other packing supplies do I need?
In order to safely pack your belongings, you will need some packing supplies besides boxes. They are packing paper, bubble wrap, packing tape, labels, and furniture pads.
Can I reuse the boxes after my move?
Yes, you can reuse your moving boxes after moving to your new home. Here's how to reuse your moving boxes.
- Sell your moving boxes
- Donate them to a local charity
- Give them to your friends or family
- Store them for your DIY project