Don't know what to expect when you meet your college roommate for the first time? Neither did Hayley when she moved away to school. Watch the video above or keep reading to find out the types of roommates you may encounter when you move into your university dorm.
11 types of college roommates
- The One Who Rolls Deep - This roommate is always surrounded by an entourage--whether she's moving in or just relaxing, get ready for your room to be party central.
- The DJ - A budding music career may not be in her future, but the DJ is pretty confident she has what it takes to make it to the big time. And yes, she wants you to know it.
- The One Who's Dependent - She's never done anything for herself and it shows. Congratulations, you're now her parent because even cereal is something she can't "make."
- The Neatnik - Don't even think about making a mess when you live with the Neatnik or there will be hell to pay. On the plus side, your dorm will always be spotless.
- The Sharer - Nothing is off limits for the Sharer, who is under the impression that's what's hers is hers and what's yours is also hers. It's time to get good at hiding your things.
- The One Who's Taken - When her boyfriend is around -- and let's face it, he always is -- it may feel like you have a third roommate. Buckle in, it's going to be a long year.
- The Hipster - Your dorm will be decorated with posters of bands you've never heard of, the decor will be vintage and all the food will be labeled as artisanal, organic and gluten free.
- The Parent - While you won't get alone time when the sweet-as-pie Parent is around, she will always take care of you when you're sick and ask if you've eaten enough.
- The Ninja - Her schedule is so booked with classes and activities that it's like you don't even have a roommate. Her things move, but you never see the Ninja. Does she only come in when you're sleeping?
- The One With Too Many Boundaries - Everything will be fine, as long as you follow her many rules and don't even think about touching her stuff.
- The BFF - The holy grail of roommates, she's not the unicorn you think she is. If you're lucky, you'll get paired with the perfect roommate: your future BFF.
TIP: To avoid Hayley's awkward situation, connect with your roommate before move-in day and get to know him or her! If it's not a good fit, you can always request to switch later on.