Welcome back to the exclusive Movers.com web-series HackBusters. In each episode we take a common or not-so-common moving hack, tip or trick and put it to the test!
If the hack fails, we recommend a similar alternative to get the job done. If the hack is a success, well, you might want to consider implementing it when moving time rolls around.
In our second episode, we take a look at a seemingly simple moving hack: color coding your boxes for a move. Does it make placing your belongings in your new home easier, or are professionals a better option?
How it works
In case you are unaware, color coding your moving boxes is very simple.
- Choose a distinct color to represent each room in your new home
- Color code each box accordingly with colored packing tape, Post-its or colored markers
- Make sure the movers know how your color coding works
Pros of color coding your boxes
- It's a great way to stay organized
- When done correctly, boxes arrive in the right place
Cons of color coding your boxes
- Color blind people could definitely throw a wrench in your plans
- If you're not careful, the colors you choose may be too similar
- When not explained properly, things can go awry, leaving you with confused movers
- It's more time consuming than writing the names of the rooms on your boxes
So, what have we learned? While color coding your boxes is a great way to differentiate what goes where, you may run into some snags during your move. Prevent this problem--and any future arguments--by hiring professional movers. Get started by filling out a fast and easy quote form today for no-cost estimates.
Have a moving hack, tip or trick you’d like us to try out for you? Send an email to moversteam [at] movers [dot] com outlining your idea and we may feature it on a future episode of HackBusters!