Home > Moving Guides > Before Your Move > Planning Your Move > Reserving Parking Spaces and Getting a Parking Permit for Moving Day

Reserving Parking Spaces and Getting a Parking Permit for Moving Day

5.0  5.0/5 based on 1 visitor(s)
views  283 Views

The last thing you want to do is worry about on moving day is parking. In the midst of last-minute tasks, settling the parking situation ahead of time will bring much-needed organization to your move. Depending on where your moving vehicle will be parked, you may require a parking permit for your move. Read on to find out about this often-overlooked step in planning a successful move.

reserving parking on moving day

A parking permit can be very beneficial in most moving circumstances. You won't have to spend time looking for an available parking space or worry about costly tickets. Additionally, having the moving vehicle as close to your home as possible will avoid fees from the movers for long carries. It will also eliminate extra time and heavy lifting from your move, making the experience easier and less stressful.

Do you always need a parking permit for moving day?

Parking regulations vary drastically from city to city. Unless you plan on parking your moving vehicle in your private driveway, you need find out whether you will need a parking permit long before moving day arrives.

Some common reasons you may need a parking permit include:

  • You live in an apartment complex without a loading dock
  • You live in a city with crowded streets and a lack of imminent parking
  • You are renting a truck or portable storage unit and plan to have the vehicle or container on your street for multiple days
  • Your rental truck or portable storage unit will be parked in your driveway, but blocking the sidewalk

Depending on your circumstances, a parking permit can either give you permission to park or reserve space(s) for parking.

  • When you need permission: Some cities will not allow a large vehicle to park on the street for an extended period. Additionally, if you live in a city or apartment complex, you may need permission to park the truck near the entrance of your building. Loading areas that normally prohibit parking may be utilized for this purpose.

  • When you need to reserve space: If you wish to reserve a spot near your building or home, you may be able to acquire a notice from your city to keep others from parking their vehicles there on moving day.

What are the different types of parking authorization?

Local and state parking laws depend heavily on whether a vehicle is categorized as commercial or not. Awareness of local ordinances and the type of parking authorization you have will help you avoid a parking ticket on moving day.

Street occupancy permits

One of the best ways to avoid a parking penalty when moving to a location with no available parking is by obtaining a street occupancy permit. A street occupancy permit restricts others from using an allotted space for a specified amount of time.

  • Parking permit takes the form of a temporary "no parking" sign that the city places at the location you plan to park
  • You are free to unload your items directly in front of your new place, transporting them from the main entrance to your door
  • Street occupancy permits are also used for utility maintenance and construction projects

TIP: Most temporary orders are issued at city hall in your new community.

Landlord authorization

The only thing better than having a street occupancy permit is having the landlord or property manager's permission to park directly in front of the building while you unload your belongings. Being told you can simply park up close for a specific amount of time without needing to obtain paperwork from the city saves you both money and time.

A landlord authorization comes in the form of a letter that states the landowner or manager is aware of the activity and that it is allowed. The authorization letter also sets guidelines as to what is allowed by the tenant.

How do you get a parking permit for moving day?

First, speak with your homeowner's association, landlord or property management to determine if a permit is required. You may not need one if you are parking on private property, unless you wish to reserve space.

To get your permit, contact the appropriate city office. Every city varies, but usually requires you to call or visit:

  • The department of public works
  • Department of transportation/parking clerk
  • The licensing and permitting department
  • Local police station

You can visit your city's government page and search for parking permits. Otherwise, call the city and request a transfer to the department that issues street parking permits. Most city websites have a main contact number for non-emergency information.

After you reach the appropriate department, you may be able to apply for the permit over the phone. However, you may be required to deliver a printed copy to the office or submit the information online.

Nicole La Capria  Posted by Nicole La Capria on November 8, 2018

Rate this guide Reserving Parking Spaces and Getting a Parking Permit for Moving Day