The pros and cons of car shipping play a significant role while making an informed decision about moving a vehicle. There are several aspects that you must take into consideration before you choose your options to ship your vehicle.
Weighing the advantages and disadvantages will help you determine some key reasons to use car shipping service. It would also allow you to consider the full spectrum of benefits that you can derive from a certain scenario, as well as some of the difficulties that may come with it.
Pros of shipping a car
There are several advantages to using a professional auto transport company for shipping a vehicle. It would not only make the move a lot easier on you and your family but will also take the load off your shoulders.
Here are some prime examples of the benefits of shipping a car by hiring professional auto movers.
- Convenience : Dealing with the burden of moving your home and your car at the same time can be a frustrating and daunting task, and it's hard to balance both at the same time. So, let the professional auto movers handle the shipping of your car for you. Once you book the service, they will take care of your car from beginning to end. They will be responsible right from picking it up from your old place and loading it onto a trailer to dropping it off at your new place.
- Safety : Using car shippers to move your vehicle is the safest option. Many people prefer to ship their vehicle using professional auto transport companies because it saves your vehicle from breakdowns, accidents and the harsh natural conditions of the road.
- Wear and tear : When you are making a long distance move, the amount of driving that you would subject your vehicle to (should you choose to drive it yourself) would add significantly to the total mileage to your vehicle. If your car is older with a lot of mileage already on it, why would you want to add more and risk doing damage to the car en route to your new home? Driving your car long distance will reduce the value of the vehicle by putting more wear and tear on the vehicle.
- Insurance : The reputed and reliable shipping companies offer auto transport insurance for the vehicle shipped by them. If there is any damage during transit, they will pay for the loss. Hence, you have the guarantee that your car will be safe during the shipping. It's important to note that the company will only pay for the damage done during the shipping so make sure that you are present there while they inspect your vehicle before the shipping.
- Cost : Most people think that the cost of shipping a car is high, but the costs incurred from gas and lodging will likely surpass the amount that you pay to the professional car shipper. When you ship your vehicle with professionals, you are paying an all-in-one inclusive price fee, rather than multiple costs spread out over the course of the trip like you would be faced with if you moved it yourself.
- Time saving : Shipping a car via an auto transport company saves way more time than driving it by yourself, especially in case of a long-distance move. You can fly to your new place without having to make changes in your schedule and having to drive all the way to the destination which is often tiring. The only thing that you have to worry about is taking delivery of the car when it arrives at your new place.
Reasons to use car shipping service
As the aforementioned factors clearly state the pros of car shipping, let's have a look at some of the scenarios where hiring a professional service is the best suitable thing to do.
Listed below are some of the key reasons to use car shipping service to move a vehicle:
- Multiple cars : It's still feasible to drive a car all the way to another city but when you have two or more cars, the only logical option is to hire a car shipping service. They will move all your cars at a time in a safe and efficient manner.
- Moving a luxury car : If you own a car that is classic or antique, you just can't afford to subject it to wear and tear of any kind. Hiring professionals would mean that it's completely safe during the transit.
- Moving to a vacation home : If you have a second home in a vacation locale and it is too far for you to drive, you'll need to have it shipped. Using a car shipping service to move your vehicle is the safest option. During the winter, if you want to take a trip and enjoy the warm weather, you can fly to your new place and your car will be welcoming you at your destination.
- Moving to a new state : When you are moving to a new state for work or studies, the ideal way to move your vehicle is to hire a car shipping service. They are aware of all the regulations and can take care of all the formalities while you can simply fly to the destination.
Cons of shipping a car
Now that we've looked at the pros of moving your car using a professional transport company, it's time to discuss the cons. While using auto transport for your move can be an extremely easy and efficient, there will always be a possibility of certain things going wrong. Here are some examples of the potential pitfalls that can arise from choosing to ship your car using auto transport.
- Late delivery : When you transport your car by yourself, you're in control of the entire operation, meaning that you can control exactly when your vehicle arrives at your new home. However, in case of hiring professionals, the delivery date is decided by the company. Although most of the companies are ready to work around your schedule, the waiting time is unavoidable.
That's because the shipper has to move multiple cars at a time so the shipping will only start once the trailer is fully loaded with vehicles. The company will usually provide you with a 1-2 week window for delivery but they won't be able to tell you the exact date.
Because of this, your vehicle may arrive later than expected. So, if you need your car immediately and can't afford to wait around for it to be delivered, your best bet is to probably transport it on your own.
- Damage : While you're much better off having your car transported with a professional company rather than driving it yourself, especially if you want to avoid damage to your car, there's always the possibility that your vehicle can be damaged while it's on the truck, such as:
- Worn brakes, rotors and tires
- Harsh road conditions (pot holes, unpaved roads, ice, rocks)
- Additional strain on your engine and transmission
- Loss of oil, gas or other fluids
Make sure that you choose a company that offers auto transport insurance to indemnify for the loss. Although it won't undo the damage, it would certainly help you with the finances to fix the car.
- Scams : Some shippers will initially provide you with low yet enticing rates, which will make you think that it's a great deal. And when you make the booking, the company will charge more for delivering the vehicle, citing added fees or fine print on the contract. That's why it's important to know the warning signs of a fraudulent auto transport company. To avoid such deceitful offers, do your research and conduct a background check on any company you choose.
Shipping a car is not an easy task but if everything goes as planned, you can move your vehicle safely. Make sure that you know about all pros and cons before hiring a company and stay prepared for anything that could go wrong.