As with any type of moving, auto transport is a specialized process that involves a lot of planning and preparation. Whether you choose to move your vehicle on your own or hire an auto transport company to handle the job for you, there are going to be some things that you must take into consideration before you make your final decision on what options you have to ship your vehicle.
When you're carefully weighing your options and trying to decide how you want to move your vehicle to your new home, one of the best things to do is to consider the pros and cons of hiring a professional auto moving company. Weighing the advantages and disadvantages is an efficient way to handle any decision, and it allows you to consider the full spectrum of benefits that you can derive from a certain scenario, as well as some of the difficulties that may come with it.
Pros of shipping a car during a move
There are several advantages to using a professional auto transport company to ship your vehicle for you when you move. These advantages can really help to make your move a lot easier on you and your family, and if everything goes as planned, it can definitely take a load off of your shoulders during your move.
Here are some prime examples of the benefits you can expect to see if you choose to hire a professional auto transport company for your move.
- Convenience: Dealing with the burden of moving your home and your car at the same time can be a frustrating and daunting task, and it's hard to balance both moves by yourself at the same time. In order to ease your move, let professional auto shippers move your vehicle. Once you book the service of auto shippers, they will take care of your car from the beginning to the end, by picking up it with a trailer at your old place and dropping it off at your new place.
- Safety: Using auto shippers to move your vehicle is the safest option. Many people prefer to ship their vehicle using professional auto transport companies because it saves your vehicle from breakdowns, accidents and the harsh natural conditions of the road. You may also be able to get extra insurance during the transportation of your vehicle.
- Protection for your car: When you are making a long distance move, the amount of driving that you would subject your vehicle to (should you choose to drive it yourself) would add significantly to the total mileage to your vehicle. If your car is older with a lot of mileage already on it, why would you want to add more and risk doing damage to the car en route to your new home? Driving your car long distance will reduce the value of the vehicle by putting more wear and tear on the vehicle.
- Cheaper: Most people think that auto transport companies might cost you more money, but the costs incurred from gas and lodging will likely surpass the cost of hiring a professional auto shipper. When you ship your vehicle with an auto shipper, you are paying an all-in-one inclusive price fee, rather than multiple costs spread out over the course of the trip like you would be faced with if you moved it yourself.
Cons of shipping a car during a move
Now that we've looked at the pros of moving your car using a professional transport company, it's time to discuss the cons. While using auto transport for your move can be an extremely easy and efficient, there are always going to be a few drawbacks. Here are some examples of the potential pitfalls that can arise from choosing to ship your car using auto transport.
- Late delivery: When you transport your car by yourself, you're in control of the entire operation, meaning that you can control exactly when your vehicle arrives at your new home. If you need your car immediately and can't afford to wait around for it to be delivered, your best bet is to probably transport it on your own. When you use an auto transport company to move your vehicle, they typically place it on the back of an open-air auto transport trailer along with several other cars that need to be delivered. The company will usually provide you with a one to two week window of time during which your car will be delivered.
However, they can't pinpoint an exact date for the drop off because of extenuating factors that might delay or prolong the delivery. Because of this, your vehicle may arrive later than expected.
- Damage: While you're much better off having your car transported with a professional company rather than driving it yourself, especially if you want to avoid damage to your car, there's always the possibility that your vehicle can be damaged while it's on the truck, such as:
- Worn brakes, rotors and tires
- Harsh road conditions (pot holes, unpaved roads, ice, rocks)
- Additional strain on your engine and transmission
- Loss of oil, gas or other fluids
- Scams: The possibility of falling victim to a moving scam is always a very real danger when it comes to just about any type of move. That's why it's important to know the warning signs of a fraudulent auto transport company. Some auto shippers will provide you with an initial estimate that is extremely low and very enticing, causing many people to book thinking that they are receiving a great deal. Then, the moving company turns around and charges them more money upon delivering the vehicle, citing added fees or fine print on the contract.
Always do your homework and conduct a background check on any auto transport company you choose.