Launched by the American Moving & Storage Association (AMSA) in 2009, the ProMover program is designed to give people the peace of mind they deserve when getting ready to move. Trusting a moving company with your precious belongings can be a stressful experience, but that stress evaporates when you see that easily-recognizable ProMover logo on your mover's sleeve. Certified ProMover moving companies have been an AMSA member in good standing for at least 18 months and have underwent a background check.
What does the ProMover program do?
The ProMover seal lets you know that you know that the associated moving company provides high quality service and adheres to a set of nationally recognized, industry-wide standards.
To become a member of the ProMover program, a moving company must:
- Pass an annual criminal background check
- Be licensed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA)
- Agree to follow a set of ethical standards, such as honest advertising
- Commits to Surface Transportation Board and FMCSA regulations
- Have a satisfactory rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB)
The purpose of the ProMover program is to fight the spread of imposters and rogue movers who are out to take advantage of people when they are at their most vulnerable. These criminal movers scam customers out of money, and sometimes, even their belongings. It's crucial to make sure you investigate a company and verify that they operate legitimately by looking up their ICC MC or USDOT numbers.
Quick tips on how you can avoid falling victim to a moving scam:
- Check the company's track record. Look up a company's profile on the Better Business Bureau to see if there have been any complaints filed against it. You could also check our moving reviews for real customer feedback.
- Get an in-home estimate. You should always get an in-home estimate from any potential movers. Estimates can change, but in-home estimates are the most accurate. A good moving company will also let you know of extra charges that you can expect.
- Make sure everything is documented. A professional moving company will make sure every step of the moving process is documented and that you have copies of all paperwork. Should a company not provide you with these important details, then they are not operating according to industry standards.
Can any company receive the ProMover seal?
Not just any moving company can adorn themselves with the trusted ProMover seal. Each moving company that wishes to align themselves with AMSA and the ProMover program must be subjected to:
- A review of felony convictions
- Verification of company ownership
- A strict review of the company's website for any false advertising claims
- The contractual obligation to uphold all FMCSA and STB regulations
With the launch of AMSA's ProMover program, customers now have a way to identify the reputable and reliable movers and separate them from the dishonest rogue movers only out for their own gain. ProMovers are there to help guide you every step of the way during your move, from getting estimates and finding a mover, to answering any pertinent questions you may have during the moving process.
What is the American Moving & Storage Association?
The American Moving & Storage Association is a US-based industry trade group that represents professional movers. All AMSA members agree to comply with the association's ethical code as well as state and federal regulations.
In return, AMSA offers its members:
- Professional training
- Industry statistics
- Government representation
- Annual safety awards
- Dispute resolution for claims
Did you know...?
AMSA is the merging of the National Moving & Storage Association (NMSA), the American Movers Conference (AMC) and the Household Goods Carriers' Bureau (HGCB). In 2008, they decided to launch the ProMover program in order to help consumers avoid suspicious or illegitimate movers.
Why hire a registered ProMover?
There are many benefits to hiring a professional mover -- such as avoiding damage to your belongings, personal injuries or accidents and the costs associated with a do-it-yourself move. By hiring a ProMover, you'll know the moving company is an honest and ethical expert in their field. It will save you time and effort at a high level of protection.
Feel safe knowing your ProMover is licensed, insured and rated positively by the BBB. Get free quotes from ProMovers in your area.