To add this flowchart to your site, please copy the embed code from the box above and paste as desired.
Packing is a monumental task -- and to complicate matters further, you have to figure out when to start.
You cannot pack your belongings too early or you won't have access to the items you use on a daily basis. On the other hand, if you wait too long to wrap and box your belongings properly before your move, you may run out of time. So when exactly should you start packing?
When do you start packing for a move?
Each move is different and when you should begin packing is determined by how many belongings you have.
However, a good rule of thumb is to start about a month before your move (or as soon as you're aware you're moving), packing a little bit at a time. This way you have plenty of time to sort through your things first to limit the size of your move. This will also help you to stay organized and manage your time throughout the process.
TIP: Never leave packing until the last minute. Waiting a week or the day before a move to pack is a recipe for disaster.
How do you begin the packing process?
After deciding when to begin packing, you can start wrapping and boxing up your belongings accordingly.
- Start with the least used rooms first, leaving the kitchen and other imperative areas for last
- Move from room to room packing like items, taking advantage of packing materials
- Pack the items you are least likely to use first and save important belongings for last
- Clearly label all boxes with their contents and their intended destination in your new home
- Try color coding your move for even more efficiency
- Mark boxes containing fragile items as such
(Also note which way movers should carry these boxes with an arrow)
- Seal the bottoms of all your boxes to prevent them from breaking open in transit
Don't want to have to worry about when to pack your belongings? Hire a moving company to do the job for you! Fill out a fast and free quote form to find moving companies in your area and don't forget to ask about their wrapping and packing services.