To add this infographic to your site, please copy the embed code from the box above and paste as desired.
Citizens of the United States move for many reasons and to many different places, and when these statistics are studied, certain moving trends begin to emerge. Learn more about American moving trends by perusing the infographic above.
American moving trends
Multiple factors shape a majority of trends across the American moving landscape, such as why people choose to move. Currently, the majority of Americans are moving to areas that give them...
- Cheaper housing (106 people for every 100 people moved to areas with more affordable housing)
- More job opportunities (106 people for every 100 moved to areas with higher employment rates)
- A lower population density (107 people for every 100 moved to less highly populated areas)
One trend popping up all over America is that the majority of moves taking place are short distance moves within the same state or even the same county, signalling an overall decline in interstate moves.
- 49 percent of between county moves are less than 100 miles
- 38 percent of between county moves are less than 50 miles
- Two thirds of all domestic moves occur in county
Trends from state to state
In recent years, 1.2 million people migrated from states in the Northeast to the Midwest, with citizens favoring moves to the suburbs and states located in the sunbelt.
- States most Americans are moving to - Texas, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina and Colorado
- States most Americans are moving out of - New York, Illinois, California, New Jersey and Michigan
Thinking about making a short distance move or relocating to another state? Simply fill out a quick and easy quote form to get started receiving no-cost moving estimates. Happy moving!
Posted by Cassandra Rose on January 15, 2015