If you’re moving abroad for school, work, or a change of scenery, you’re going to need the expertise and services of an international mover.
What is considered an international move?
For it to be considered and international move, the origin OR destination of the move must be a country other than the United States. Because there are many variables involved, it can take months, if not years, of planning and organization to ensure that your belongings arrive in your new home undamaged and in the desired timeframe.
How much does an international move cost?
Because of the distance and complexity of transporting your belongings internationally, an international move is expensive. The method of shipment, speed of delivery and customs payments increase the cost of your move. There are several factors that can affect the final cost of moving to another country, such as:
- Size and weight of your belongings
- Type of services needed (transit time, transportation method, route of transport, transport container)
- Export documents (customs, taxes, port fees)
You also need to factor in expenses you may incur when moving, such as:
- Auto transportation
- Train/flight tickets
- Temporary living costs
- Temporary storage
To ensure you are getting a fair and accurate estimate from a potential international mover, follow these tips:
- Use this moving estimate cost calculator to give the mover a better idea of what you need transported. It also helps keep you organized.
- Get a detailed estimate with every potential fee listed. Ask the movers for an in-home inspection, so they can get see what needs to be moved as well as the layout of your home.
If you're planning to move to internationally, it's also important to understand what you can bring with you, as they vary from country to country. Learn about the customs regulations of the country you are moving to, so you are prepared before you leave for your international destination.
Why should I hire international movers ?
There are many benefits of hiring movers, regardless of the distance between your current and new home. For international moves especially, it is almost a necessity to hire one to ensure a seamless and hassle free move. These are professionals who will help you with regulations and customs laws for the country you are moving to.
A reputable international moving company will also do the heavy lifting with ease and protect all your belongings, big and small, sentimental and valuable, from damage or destruction. They come prepared with the materials, equipment, and transportation.
When considering international moving companies to hire, ask these questions to make sure they are reputable and offer the services you need:
- How are my belongings shipped?
- Do you offer complete, door-to-door service or only between ports?
- Is packing included in the cost?
- How long will my move take?
- Do my belongings need to be stored? If so, where and for how long?
- Do you handle the entire move, or will it involve other companies?
- How can I track my items?
- What is covered in the insurance that you offer?
- Does your company belong to any international moving associations or organizations?
Are you ready to move? Get free estimates from licensed and insured moving companies.