The biggest concern most people have during a move is the cost. Even though your one bedroom apartment move is a small one, you still might want to hire professional movers.
The exact amount will vary depending on the distance of your move, the special services you require and the company you choose.
While you should always get an in-home estimate, the following will give you an idea of what to expect.
Costs to move a one bedroom apartment
Local movers typically charge by the hour, with an average rate of about $100 per hour for two movers and a truck, which is sufficient for an apartment move. A one bedroom apartment move usually take between three to five hours or $300 to $500 for labor alone.
You may also be charged extra fees for special services and supplies. Some examples include:
- Moving items up and down stairs
- Elevator carries
- Long carries (inaccessible parking and long hallways)
- Shuttle service (when the truck cannot fit down your street or park near your apartment)
- Packing services
- Packing supplies
Be sure to ask your movers detailed questions when they are giving you the on-site estimate. Prices may be different depending on what floor apartment you are moving out of or the availability of parking at the building's entrance. Make sure you divulge all pertinent information about the buildings when getting an estimate for a more accurate quote.
Costs for a one bedroom long distance move
Companies determine long distance costs by the weight of your possessions, the distance the movers travel, the cost of extra services and additional insurance on your goods. While prices vary from one moving company to the next, the following table will help give you an idea of a standard range for moving a one bedroom apartment:
|One bedroom apartment (3,500 pounds)
|With packing services
|With mover's insurance
|With insurance and packing services
Keep in mind these amounts are only estimates, and the actual cost will differ. Your apartment's weight may exceed or be less than 3,500 pounds. Consult the following table with basic items found in a one bedroom apartment and their estimated weights:
|60" flat screen television
|Dining set (medium table, four chairs)
|Desktop computer and monitor
You will also need to account for various belongings such as clothing, books, DVDs, coffee makers, toasters and blenders. The plus of an apartment move is the absence of moving heavy appliances like refrigerators, stoves or dishwashers required. This keeps your cost considerably lower.
Move your one bedroom apartment on your own
The cheapest way to move is usually to handle the process on your own. A one bedroom move is small and manageable, so opt for renting a moving truck and enlisting a few friends.
Here are some of the possible costs you will incur on a self-conducted move:
- Truck rental - Prices vary depending on the size of trailer you need and the distance you will be traveling. You may also be required to purchase fuel, as some rental companies ask you to return the truck with a half tank of gas. U-Haul offers their smallest truck at $19.95 plus mileage.
- Packing supplies - Costs for one bedroom packing kits range from $40 to $100 on moving supply websites. These usually only include only boxes and packing paper; bubble wrap, furniture pads, and mattress bags will cost extra.
TIP: For small moves, find free boxes or use old towels and quilts in place of furniture pads or moving blankets.
Cost-saving tips for moving a one bedroom apartment
- Pack yourself. You can save lots of cash by forgoing packing services and taking care of most of the boxing and wrapping yourself. The only items you may need professional assistance with are your furniture items and breakable electronics.
- Talk to your movers about the exact specifics of your move, so you can plan for elevators or stairs. Always ask them what extra fees you might incur when moving into an apartment complex.
- Plan parking in advance. Speak with the landlord to make arrangements. You'll want the most convenient place you are permitted for unloading purposes. You could also plan to arrive early and park your own car near the entrance to save a spot for the moving truck.