The cost of moving is a concern that is always in the forefront of our minds as moving is a very pricey venture. Depending on your budget, you may not be able to afford extra services that moving companies offer.
The average packing specialist costs $60 per hour.
Hiring a packing or unpacking service instead can be very conveninent and helpful during the moving process. However, how can you determine if the benefits of hiring such services are worth the cost? Use this guide as a reference to decide if packing services are necessary.
What will a professional packing service do?
A professional packing service will take care of all of:
- Disassembling furniture
- Wrapping it properly
- Securing using padding and protective packing
- Taking picture frames and art off the walls
- Rolling carpets for transport
- Labeling and sorting boxes according to room and placement
TIP: Keep in mind that if you have your items packed by a party other than the moving company, the company transporting your goods will not be liable, with the exception of neglegence on their end.
Packing on your own could save you a lot of money in the long run, but a skilled, professional packer can work quickly and efficiently to save you time. What could take you days or weeks takes them a few hours to a day, depending on the size of your home and the volume of your belongings. If you don't have much time left before your move date, and have an entire house to pack, you're better off leaving this task to the professionals.
How does a professional packing service determine pricing?
With any added convenience comes an additional fee. Pricing is usually determined by the volume of your items, the time it takes to pack them and the cost of the necessary packing materials.
Initially, a surveyer will visit your home to assess your move:
- Let the surveyer know if you are only looking to have specific things wrapped, such as oddly-shaped, heavy, fragile or valuable items
- When the surveyor gives you the finalized list, check it to make sure only items you want to have packed by a professional are on there
- Packing services can charge by the hour or give you a flat-rate based on the volume of your items. These prices can vary greatly from company to company as well as location to location.
Below are some rough estimates for packing services from several different-sized residences:
|Size of Residence
|One bedroom apartment
|Two bedroom apartment
|Three bedroom apartment
|Three bedroom house
|Four bedroom house
|Five bedroom house
Keep in mind that these are only estimates generated for the sake of example, and may be drastically different depending on the company and on the unique circumstances of your move. Some companies charge a fixed hourly rate that already includes labor and supplies. You can also pay an additional charge for unpacking services. For more accurate quotes based on the specifics of your move and needs, fill out our fast and easy quote form at Movers.com.
How to save on packing services
If you need a little packing assistance but are concerned about the affordability, there are several ways to cut some costs:
Only pay for packing assistance for your difficult and fragile items. If money is tight for your move, you can opt to pay for only your most delicate, valuable, bulky or oddly-shaped items to be professionally packed. Some belongings you should consider allowing packers to handle:
- Furniture. Your furniture requires special protective wrapping and padding to keep it from sustaining any dents, scratches, chips or unsightly stains. Professional packers will make sure your furniture stays properly protected and clean. They can also easily disassemble and reassemble your pieces to maximize space on the moving trailer and prevent damage.
- Glassware, stemware and china. These elegantly delicate breakables need to be carefully wrapped and boxed to protect their fragile glass from cracking or shattering. Precious china and crystal may not only have monetary value but sentimental as well. If you can't put a price tag on it, consider allowing professionals to pack it.
- Artwork and antiques. Paintings, sculpture and antiques require special supplies for protection and should be crated for transport. If you have an especially large or valuable art collection, these items should be packed by professionals.
- Electronics. Electronics are heavy and cumbersome, as well as delicate and valuable. The slightest impact on your plasma flat-screen or stereo system can rattle its delicate mechanisms and cause it to stop functioning. Since these items are not easily replaced without spending a significant amount of money, you may want to spend the extra cash to have them professionally packed.
Buy your own supplies. You can save some money when hiring professional packers by acquiring your own boxes, packing paper, bubble wrap and moving blankets. However, before doing so be sure to discuss this option when you receive your estimate. There may be an issue of liability. If packers use your supplies, they may not accept responsibility should anything happen to your goods.
Why should you hire professional packers?
So, when is hiring professional packers worth the extra cost? The following are some factors to consider when contemplating paying for packing services:
- You don't have time to pack
- You have a large home/high volume of belonging
- You are moving long-distance
- You have a significant amount of valuable, fragile or oddly-shaped items to pack