While moving, you may find yourself in need of a portable storage unit or moving containers. It is important to find the most convenient, secure, and cost-efficient self-storage company for you. These units were originally designed out of weatherproof steel to carry goods internationally and across the ocean.
There are plenty of portable storage and moving container companies that offer temporary storage for residential moves as well as office relocation and other commercial moving.
Check out our list of the best moving container and storage companies.
The Top 5 Moving and Storage Companies
With U-Pack, you control what space you use and the exact price of the space you are using. U-Pack's containers, known as ReloCubes, come with 305 cubic feet of internal space which is ample space to store an entire room's worth of furniture and other items. These containers can hold up to 2,500 pounds of items and are compact enough to fit into a standard-sized driveway.
ReloCubes are delivered through either a flatbed trailer delivery or a drop-deck trailer delivery. If you need a larger container, they have a moving trailer option as well to fit more of your belongings.
- They offer both ReloCubes and trailers for flexibility for your move
- You can order as many ReloCubes as you need, and you won't get charged for any extra you may have
- They are available in all 50 states
- Their insurance is excellent and covers just about anything that might happen
- They do not offer local moves
PODS is one of the leading container companies. They are known for customizing their service based on your need - making it easy for you to move and store your belongings. PODS provides drivers for moving and facilities for off-site storage. The containers come in three convenient sizes for the smallest to the largest items. You can also mix-and-match different container sizes based on your belongings.
They have a level loading system which does not require ramps for loading or unloading. PODS employees drive the container to your new location for you, so you have one less thing to worry about. In addition, they have many packing options -- different box sizes, wardrobe kits, and other packing supplies available to help you pack and secure your items better.
- Available in Canada, the U.K., as well as Australia
- 3-different sized containers available for your moving and storage solutions
- They offer both local and long-distance moves
- Only available in 44 states
- Insurance options don’t cover as many things as some of the other container options do (they also specifically mention that nuclear warfare isn’t covered)
3. U-Box by U-Haul
Almost everyone has heard of U-Haul before, especially since you are likely to spot one of their trucks driving by. It is one of the most popular storage and container companies in the market. Not only do they have storage and containers for moving, but they also provide rentals.
U-Box shipping containers are for either moving or storage and can even be shipped internationally. If you need physical help moving your items along with storage space, U-Haul offers that as well.
- Widely available thanks to U-Haul’s 21,000 locations across the country
- Can get accurate quotes online
- U-Haul’s website gives an accurate guesstimate of how many containers you might need based on the size of your home online
- Just enter in your home size and how much stuff you have, and they’ll calculate how many containers you’ll need
- The container’s construction isn’t as great as some of the other containers out there
- U-Box is a little more expensive than U-Pack or PODS
1-800-Pack-Rat conveniently lets you simply store your items. They have both residential and business solutions for your storage needs. With facilities nationwide, this company will deliver the storage unit to your home, so you can load the unit at your pace and at your timeline.
They also offer moving solutions for both local and long-distance moves (as well as military moves).
- They service most of the United States (97% of it)
- The container can remain at your home for as long as you need it there
- 1-800-Pack-Rat also offers third-party moving companies to help you move
- Cannot get a quote without entering personal information
- They aren’t available for international moves
- Have to book over the phone for some long-distance moves
SmartBox is a great solution for you if you are looking for a portable storage container. The containers are very roomy and spacious, having dimensions of 8'x7'x5' which can hold up to 3,000 pounds. This large unit can be very helpful because it gives you ample space and makes it easier to organize your belongings.
SmartBox also offers moving solutions. They have local, long-distance, military, as well as commercial moves available.
- College students are given discounts
- Pricing is very transparent
- The service area is limited
- Prices are pretty high (around 20% higher than their competitors)
Which Container is the Best?
When thinking about what container to go with, it will come down to personal preference. Do you need a local or long-distance move? What kind of container construction is important to you? We personally prefer U-Pack, their prices are fair, the insurance offered is great, and they have availability in all 50 states. However, they do not offer local moves so U-Pack might not work for your move.