Moving can be tough work. From carrying heavy boxes to buying the right packing materials, there are a lot of tasks that might feel too big to handle yourself. If you feel this way, hiring full service movers might be the best thing for you.
If you hire a moving company to perform a full service move, your movers will pack your things up in your old home, load them onto the truck, drive to your new location, unload everything off the truck, and unpack your belongings in your new home. Though full service moves can be expensive, they provide the least stressful way to move. You can sit back and relax as the movers do all the work!
What are full service movers?
Full service movers are exactly what they sound like. A full service moving crew will provide the following services:
- Provide boxes, cushions, packing materials
- Pack items into boxes, unpack at your destination
- Load boxes onto the truck, unload at your destination
- Disassemble and carry out large furniture items
- Assemble furniture at destination
- Drive moving truck to destination
Why should you hire full service movers?
Full service movers take stress and labor off your hands. You will have to do only a fraction of the work that you would've otherwise done if you didn't hire them.
Full service movers drastically speed up the process of your move. The extra manpower will help you finish up all steps of your move quicker, becauser you'll have extra hands. If you're in a rush, or have a set move date, these movers can be a great help keeping you on schedule.
Full service movers are professionally trained and very experienced. They can help you move awkward, heavy or large items like appliances, pianos or beds.
How do you find a full service moving company?
If you are interested in a full service move, do some research and find a few moving companies in your area that can provide the services you need. In addition to performing full service moves, you should also make sure they can perform your type of move (local, long distance or international).
TIP: Once you have selected three moving companies, allow them to perform an in-home assessment of your household. Only after evaluating your home can the moving company provide you with an accurate estimate for the cost of a full service move.
What are your responsibilities in a full service move?
On the day of the move, you should be available to give any special instructions to the movers. Also, by being present, your movers can ask you any questions they might have when handling your goods. If there are any boxes that you plan on bringing in your own car (such as those containing important documents, valuables or any first night necessities), make sure these boxes are clearly labeled as such.
When the movers arrive, they will quickly get to work on packing everything up. Though it is a good idea to be present as they work, you shouldn't micromanage them. Remember, any good moving company thoroughly trains their employees on the proper way to protect your home from damage and pack all household items.
Upon arriving at your new home, the movers will begin to unload and unpack all of your goods. While you will need to arrive at your destination address first to let them in, you should also be around to advise them on where your belongings should go. After unloading everything, your movers can dispose of all the packing materials for you. They can also arrange your furniture and even install your appliances, though they might charge you extra for this service.
Why should you use movers instead of moving by yourself?
Moving on your own is quite hard -- even moreso for long distance moves. For starters, you will have to do all the packing yourself. Even if you have friends or family that can help, you will lack the necessary experience, organization and time management skills that come with a full service moving deal. This is especially true if it's your first time moving.
The biggest advantages to using full service movers:
- First and foremost is the time and energy you will save by not having to pack everything up. If you have a bad back, or don't want to develop a bad back, you won't have to go through the trouble of lifting heavy objects.
- Driving a large, lumbering moving truck can be quite a challenge. If you've never driven a truck before, you might need to rent the truck earlier to practice. Since a professional driver will be handling a full service move, you don't have to worry about renting and driving a big truck.
- On top of everything else, you can be confident that your belongings will be packed by experienced professionals using the best materials and methods.
There are some disadvantages of using full service movers:
- Mistakes are always possible. As great as a full service move may be, as much experience as the moving company has in packing and shipping goods, you still might not be comfortable with someone else handling everything you own.
- The cost of a full service move is not cheap. Full service moves are the most expensive because of how comprehensive they are.
- Even though it is called "full service," there are several services moving companies offer that will result in extra charges. For instance, having your movers hook up appliances or even carry goods up a flight of stairs can result in added fees.
Full service moves are a good option if you have the money and don't want to handle the physical aspects of the move. By going with a full service move, you can take a back seat as your movers do the grunt work.
What is self service moving?
Self service moving is a halfway point between moving on your own and hiring full service movers. Self service movers offer very limited moving assistance. A professional drives the moving truck to your home but doesn't actually help with packing or loading. This is left to you and your personal helpers. The professional driver then drives the truck to your destination where you unload and unpack yourself.
You pack; they drive.
Self service moving is cheaper than full service moving but provides zero help in the labor department. Overall, the cost for having just a moving truck driver might not be worth it for the amount of help you're receiving. When it comes to moving, cheaper is not always better.
Through it all, full service moving is usually the best option. The unparalleled speed and labor that comes with it means that your move will be stress free and quick. Usually, the labor and time that comes with an expensive full service move will outvalue a cheap self-service move. If you're looking to hire a full service movers, get free quotes here on Movers.com!