Cost is a major concern for most people when moving. Moving costs are determined by a multitude of factors, including the type of move, distance traveled, and weight of your goods.
The average cost of moving a two bedroom apartment locally or long distance is $1,000 to $6,000.
If you are seeking information on the potential costs of moving a two bedroom apartment, this guide will provide you with some standard rates for several kinds of moves.
Hiring a moving company
If you don't have the time, the patience or the brawn to pull off a move yourself, you might be considering hiring professional movers. The exact cost will vary depending on the distance of your move, the special services you require and the company you ultimately choose. While you should always get an one-site estimate from any company you are considering, the following will give you an idea of what to expect:
- Local moves: Moves less than 100 miles are considered Local moves. Local movers usually charge an average rate of about $100 per hour for two movers and a truck. A two bedroom apartment move usually takes between four to six hours, putting your move at about $400 to $600 just for labor. You can also be charged extra fees for special services and supplies. Some examples for extra services for an apartment move include:
- Moving items up and down stairs
- Elevator carries
- Long carries
- Shuttle service
- Temporary storage
- Packing services and materials
- Long-distance moves: Long-distance moves refer to any move greater than 100 miles. Costs are calculated based on the weight of your goods, the distance the movers will be traveling and the cost of extra services and insurance on your belongings. While prices will vary between companies, this table will provide you with an idea of standard rates:
|Two bedroom apartment (about 4,500 pounds)
|With packing services
|With mover's insurance
|With insurance and packing services
Ask your movers detailed questions of what services you may need and what the extra charges will be for them. Prices may be different depending on what floor apartment you are moving out of/moving into or the availability of accessible parking at the building's entrance.
You pack, we drive
One way to save money when moving is to hire a You Pack, We Drive moving service. A trailer will be delivered to your apartment complex, and you can pack up your belongings on your own time. Then the movers will pick up the unit and deliver it to your new location.
However, using a portable storage unit in an apartment can be tricky. Some complexes have restrictions on keeping units on their property. If you don't have your own parking spot, you may have difficulty finding a place for it. Speak with your landlord in advance to find out what the regulations are regarding portable storage units.
If you are consider hiring a "You Pack, We Drive" service for your apartment move, consult the following table with some standard quotes from the company U-Pack:
|Two bedroom apartment (4,500 pounds)
|Unloading and Storage
The most affordable way to move is typically to handle the process by yourself. A two-bedroom apartment move is smaller and more manageable, so DIY may be an appealing option.
Here are some of common costs you will have on a self-handled move:
- Truck rental: If you do not have free access to a friend's truck or one of your own, you will have to rent a U-Haul or other moving truck. Prices will vary depending on the size of trailer needed and the distance you will travel. A 17' U-Haul is suggested for a two bedroom apartment move and will cost a flat fee of $29.95 for the day plus $1.99 for every mile traveled. You may also be required to purchase fuel, as some rental companies ask you to return the truck with a half tank of gas.
- Packing supplies: Packing supplies can be costly, even with a move as small as a two bedroom apartment. Costs for two bedroom apartment packing kits range from $60 to $150 on moving supply websites depending on your needs, with most lying in the $90 to $120 range.
- Portable storage units: Portable storage units are a great alternative to using storage facilities. The most well known portable storage unit company is PODS, you've probably seen them around your neighborhood. You can check out this article which helps break down the price of a portable storage unit. If you're looking for a rough estimate, the total cost for a 7 foot POD unit is around $400.
Cost saving tips for a two bedroom apartment move
- Ask about the service elevator. Most apartment buildings have spacious service elevators to make moving your furniture and large items easier. However, you often have to book them in advance, as other tenants may be moving in and in need of the elevator at the same time as you. Speak with your landlord in advance about using the elevator the day of your move.
- Measure all hallways, doorways, and stairways before moving anything. Measure any spaces your furniture will have to fit through on its way out of your old building and into your new one. Plan your route accordingly to avoid damage to the walls. You don't want to lose that return of your security deposit!
- Leave your old apartment in the same state it started. Most landlords expect your unit to be left a certain way when you vacate. Are you required to paint the walls back to their original color? Repair holes left in the walls by nails? Clean your apartment thoroughly, empty out your refrigerator, throw away all garbage and place in the proper receptacles to ensure the return of your security deposit.