Cost is a major concern for most people when moving. Moving costs are determined by a multitude of factors, including the type of move, distance traveled, and weight of your goods.
The average cost of moving a three bedroom apartment locally or long distance is $1,000 to $10,000.
If you are seeking information on the potential costs of moving a three bedroom apartment, this guide will provide you with some standard rates for several kinds of moves.
Hiring a moving company
Moving larger apartments and homes can become very time-consuming and exhausting. If you are on a tight schedule, you may be contemplating hiring professional movers. The exact amount will vary depending on the distance of your move, the special services you require and the company you choose. While you should always get an in-home estimate from any company you are considering for hire, the following will give you an idea of what to expect:
- Local moves: Local movers typically charge by the hour, with an average rate of about $100 per hour for two movers and a truck. You cost will vary depending on the distance of your move, but a three bedroom apartment move usually takes between four to six hours, putting your move at about $400 to $600 for labor alone. You may also be charged extra fees for special services and supplies. Some examples include:
- Moving items up and down stairs
- Elevator carries
- Long carries
- Shuttle service
- Packing services and supplies
- Long-Distance moves: Long-distance moves exceed 100 miles. Costs are calculated by weight, distance, extra services and additional insurance on your goods. While prices will vary from one moving company to the next, the following table will help give you an idea of the standard range for moving a three bedroom apartment:
|Three bedroom apartment (about 5,500 pounds)
|With packing services
|With mover's insurance
|With insurance and packing services
Ask your movers specific questions to be sure of what services you need for moving into/out of an apartment and what the extra charges will be for them. Prices may differ depending on what floor your new or old apartment is located or the availability of imminent parking at the building's entrance.
You pack, we drive
One way to save money when moving is to hire a You Pack, We Drive moving service. A trailer will be delivered to your building, and you can pack up your belongings on your own time. Then the movers will pick up the unit and deliver it to your new location. Without the cost of labor, your expenses will be lower, and you won't have to worry about the task of driving a bulky moving truck.
However, your apartment building may have restrictions on keeping a portable unit on the property. Speak to your landlord in advance about the possibility of keeping a trailer at your complex.
Below are some standard quotes from the company U-Pack:
|Three bedroom apartment (5,500 pounds)
|Unloading and Storage
The cheapest way to move is usually to do it by yourself. An apartment move is typically smaller and more manageable than a house move, so you may be considering handling the process on your own.
Here are some of common costs you will have on a self-handled move:
- Truck rental: If you do not have free access to a friend's truck or one of your own, you will have to rent a U-Haul or other moving truck. Prices will vary depending on the size of trailer needed and the distance you will travel. A 17' U-Haul is suggested for a three bedroom apartment move and will cost a flat fee of $29.95 for the day plus $1.99 for every mile traveled. You may also be required to purchase fuel, as some rental companies ask you to return the truck with a half tank of gas.
- Packing supplies: Packing supplies can be costly, even with a move as small as a three bedroom apartment. Costs for three bedroom apartment packing kits range from $60 to $150 on moving supply websites depending on your needs, with most lying in the $90 to $120 range.
- Portable storage units: Portable storage units are a great alternative to using storage facilities. The most well known portable storage unit company is PODS, you've probably seen them around your neighborhood. You can check out this article which helps break down the price of a portable storage unit. If you're looking for a rough estimate, the total cost for a 7 foot POD unit is around $400.
If you are looking to keep your belongings in temporary storage, you will have a few options. Some moving companies also offer storage services and may offer them to you cheaper as part of your moving package. Or you may opt to rent a storage unit from a separate company.
While rates for storage units vary from business to business, the following will give you an idea of what to expect from standard sizes used in a three bedroom move. The size will vary depending on how furnished your apartment is and how much of your belongings you will need to store.
|10x15 (standard for two bedroom apartment)
||$75 to $140 a month
||up to $150 per month
|10x20 (standard for three bedroom house)
||$95 and $155 a month
||$170 to $180 a month