Answered by Staff WriterNovember 16, 2021
If you are planning to move in 2 weeks, there are tons of things that need to be done. Starting from the packing, to hiring the labor to move your stuff, the whole moving process is overwhelming. To move your stuff quickly and efficiently, here's a plan that will help you be ready for a move in 2 weeks.
Be prepared for the move:
Preparing for the move is an important task of getting things ready to have a stress-free moving experience. So, allow yourself time to prepare two weeks for the move. Collect the packing supplies, notify the utility companies about your move and hire movers to get the job done. Let's explore a few recommendations on how to move your house in two weeks.
Call utility companies: Inform your utility companies about the move so that you can transfer all your utility services such as gas, phone, electricity, and internet before you get to your new home.
Hire help: Once you’ve decided to move, hire professional movers to help you out and get the job done easily. If you are planning to move by yourself, ask your friends whether if they’re available to help you to move with the belongings.
Buy packing materials and moving supplies
You will need to gather packing materials for your upcoming move. Here’s what you might need to include in your move checklist.
- Moving boxes
- Bubble wrap
- Moving blankets
- Packaging tape
- Permanent markers
- Plastic bags
- Ziploc bags
- Furniture pads
Get organized and start packing
Packing will be the most time-consuming part of the moving process. Do it room by room and sort out the items that you want to bring with you to your new home. Pack all the picture frames, vases, and other fragile items first and then go for electronics like television, computer, and refrigerator, etc.,
Finally, you will need to pack furniture. When possible, disassemble your furniture and wrap and it using furniture blankets to protect it during the move. Read more: How to make a packing plan for each room To get more information.
Don’t forget to label the boxes.
Tips for Moving
Once you have done with the packing process, it’s time to get ready for the moving day.
- Pack the essential things in a bag: You may need some daily essentials like toiletries, clothing, towels, credit cards, and other important things when you are moving to your new home. Have your essentials in a bag and make use of them while moving.
- Deep clean your house: Mop and clean the floors, living area, and bathroom to make sure you haven’t leftover anything inside your home.
- Arrange some food: You might be traveling a long distance, so it is better if you arrange some snacks while moving.
- Labeling: Once you are done packing up a box, make sure to label the box with its respective content. This will make it much easier while unpacking. You can use labels like living room pictures, bedroom decorations, kitchen dishes, etc.
After you move to your new home
- Explore the new city: Do some research and find out the best places to visit in your neighborhood. Ask your neighbors and get more information on the places that need to be visited.
- Check with your utility service providers and make sure everything is working.
- Invite your family and friends and host a housewarming party.
Hiring a Moving Company
If you think 2 weeks is a short time, possibly hiring a moving company might help you in your move date. Let's explore a few things that you need to keep in your mind:
- Ensure to call the moving company and verify your appointment with them.
- In case the movers haven't done an online or physical visit, make sure to click photos and videos of your items. You need to send it to them in advance as they need to make timely arrangements.
- Besides, you need to take an estimate of the moving cost from them, so that you know it's within your budget.
Thus, after reading this guide, you will have a good idea of how to pack and move in 2 weeks. Mostly, if you want to save money, consider the DIY tricks, but it might not be easy for you. Alternatively, if you don’t want to be stress-free, the best idea would be to hire a moving company.