What can I do to get my deposit back from bayf - Movers.com
Home > Ask Moving Expert > What Can I Do To Get My Deposit Back From Bayflower Movers

What can I do to get my deposit back from bayflower Movers?

No Photo

Asked by Teena

January 1, 2014 under Moving Companies

I gave a deposit on Dec 3rd for feb 10, 2014 move, We cancelled on the 13th, We received a reply after a refund query by email that a refund takes from 3 to 7 days. A subsequent phone call Dec. 31st we were told that it had left Mr. David Ortiz desk on Dec. 14th, 2013. What is my recourse?

Answered by Nicole La Capria

January 2, 2014

Hello, and thank you for visiting Movers.com!

All moving companies have different policies concerning deposits--many do not even require one at all. If you were told your refund was sent and you never received it, you should make the company aware of the problem and give them a chance to correct it.

If you do not receive your refund, there are several options open to you:

  • File a claim with the FMCSA

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration is a goverment organization that regulates long distance (interstate) moving companies. While this agency does not have the authority to legally intervene on your behalf, your complaint could prompt a federal investigation against the mover. Involving the FMCSA will often influence the mover to settle your complaint.

You can file a claim against any interstate movers with the agency easily on their website or by calling their toll-free number: 1-888-DOT-SAFT (1-888-368-7238). If the movers are local, contact your local regulatory agency such as the public utility commission, consumer protection office, or the office of the Attorney General.

  • File a claim with the BBB

File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau by visiting their website and submitting an online claim form or going to the office nearest you. The organization will contact the company with your claim within two days, and the movers will be expected to respond within 14 days. If no response is received, a second request is sent. The BBB will keep you updated on the status of the correspondence.

While the BBB is not a governmental organization and cannot obligate the moving company to compensate you, they can serve as a third-party mediator to facilitate cooperation from the movers. Most reputable movers are registered with the BBB and do not want outstanding complaints tarnishing their reputation.

  • File a claim with the AMSA

You can also file a complaint with American Moving and Storage Association. Submit your complaint form on the website and they will contact the company on your behalf to resolve the matter. However, AMSA has no legal authority and cannot mandate the moving company to comply.

  • Take them to small claims court

As a last resort, you may opt to take the company to small claims court. However, because this method can be stressful and expensive, it may not be worth the effort--depending on the amount of your deposit. Consult a lawyer before making the decision.

Was this answer helpful to you? Please leave us a comment!

5.05.0 (4 Ratings)
Views(2,456) Views

Rate this Question

Similar Questions as Above