Even in this age of the mp3 and the MPEG, we all have some physical copies of our favorite music, TV shows and movies with ourselves. Chances are, you spent money on these fragile media storage items, and you'd prefer if they weren't damaged during your move.
So, if you want to protect these items during a move, here's the best way to pack up your CDs and DVDs and get your media collection safely to your new home without any damage.
Materials required to pack your CDs and DVDs
When packing CDs and DVDs, you'll need a few materials:
- A stack of clean packing paper or unprinted newsprint.
- 2-cubic-foot or "small" moving boxes
- A roll of packing tape
- A permanent marker
How to pack CDs and DVDs for moving
Since CDs and DVDs are fragile items, you'll need to pack them in a special way to ensure that they are protected during the move. Here's the best way to pack CDs for moving:
- Prepare the box / Cushion the box : Take a small moving box and fill the bottom with crumpled packing papers to create a cushion.
- Tape the box properly : Reinforce the bottom of the box with packing tape to make sure it is strong enough to withstand the move.
- Place all the CDs and DVDs into the moving box : The process of packing CDs for moving is very simple. Stack all the discs like they would be on a shelf, in rows, at the bottom of the box. Once you've got the bottom covered, put a layer of packing paper on top and repeat the process.
- Fill any empty space with packing paper : When the box is full, fill any empty space with crushed packing paper to keep everything from shifting around.
- Tape and label your box : Place one layer of packing paper on top of everything as cushioning and close the box and seal it securely with packing tape. Finish by labeling the moving box with its contents and destination.
- Load the box onto the truck : Since these items are fragile, it is always best to place the packed boxes last in the moving truck with no other boxes on top.
If you still need tips for packing CDs and DVDs for moving, watch our video and follow the steps to ensure a safe and secure move.